Guidance on Comment Submissions by U.S. Industry on WTO Member Notifications to the WTO TBT Committee
HOW TO PREPARE AND SUBMIT COMMENTS
The following guidance is provided by the National Institute of Standards and Technology to assist U.S. industry in the preparation of comments in response to notifications of proposed foreign technical regulations and conformity assessment procedures made under the World Trade Organization's (WTO) Agreement on Technical Barriers to Trade (TBT). Non-US entities who wish to submit comments on non-US notifications can submit their comments directly to the appropriate WTO Member Enquiry Point.
To prepare and submit comments through the USA WTO TBT Enquiry Point on notifications made by Members of the World Trade Organization (WTO) to the WTO TBT Committee, we suggest that U.S. industry adhere to the following guidelines. If after reviewing these guidelines you have further questions about submitting effective comments, please contact us using our contact information below.
submitting comments to the Enquiry Point on the date they are due. Due to global time differences and the time processing comments in both the US WTO TBT Enquiry Point and the receiving WTO TBT Enquiry Point, we request that you submit your comments three (3) business days prior to the posted comment deadline.
- Do NOT address the comments to the USA Enquiry Point and/or a staff member in the USA TBT Enquiry Point; address them to the notification country’s Enquiry Point or the contact provided in the notification template in box 2 and/or 11. Contact information for each WTO TBT Enquiry Point can be found on the WTO TBT Information Management System website.
- Do NOT submit comments directly to the country’s WTO TBT Enquiry Point. Each country’s Enquiry Point is authorized to accept commenting activity from other Enquiry Points and may not acknowledge submissions from outside sources.
- The number and title of the notification which your comments concern.
- Your complete contact information, e.g., organization/company name, contact name, email, etc.
- Issue statement, e.g., the reason you are submitting comments. Your issue statement should focus on technical aspects of the proposed regulation or regulations with which you may have issues.
- Supporting rationale statement. Your supporting rationale statement should focus on technical aspects of the proposed regulation or regulations with which you may have issues.
- In case of a problem meeting proposed date of entry into force: If your company will not be able to comply with the proposed regulation or conformity assessment procedure by the proposed date of entry into force, it would be helpful to suggest a date by which your company will be able to comply.
- Address your comments to the receiving WTO Member’s TBT Enquiry Point. Contact information for all TBT Enquiry Points is accessible from the WTO’s IMS at WTO TBT Information Management System website; select country of interest to obtain the address. Please include in your comments the notification symbol of the measure in question.
- Submit your comments on company / organization letterhead in PDF to the USA WTO TBT Enquiry Point by email at email@example.com.
Submit comments to arrive in the USA WTO TBT Enquiry Point AT LEAST three (3) days prior to the comment deadline date.
Please contact us if you have questions; do not address comments to the USA WTO TBT Enquiry Point (see above for information on addressing comments)
USA WTO TBT Enquiry Point Telephone 301-975-2918 Fax 301-926-1559 firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that any comments submitted may be made publicly available.